Buyer & Seller Guides
Return to Buyer / Seller Guides List
What to Look for in a Real Estate
Since you will be spending a lot of time with an agent, it's
important you choose one you feel comfortable with, who is
responsive to your needs and who compliments your personality.
Here are some guidelines:
- Get referrals from family and friends
that you trust.
- Seek out an experienced agent with a known
reputation – look
at credentials, track records and awards received.
at least three agents – you will go to great
lengths to find a doctor, dentist or even a hair stylist,
so don't pick the first agent that you come in contact with.
- Seek out someone who is a member of the Board of Realtors® .
Find someone who is continuing their education – a
Certified Residential Specialist (CRS), Certified Residential
(CRB), a Graduate of the Realtors Institute (GRI) or an Accredited
Buyer's Representative (ABR) – this shows that the
Realtor is interested in the business long-term and is willing
in their career.
Questions to ask when getting a referral
These questions will
help you learn what you need to know about an agent:
- What were they like to deal with?
- How hard did they work
- Did they get you a good price?
- Were there any complications?
- Did they always tell you
- Were they always looking out for you or just
interested in getting paid?
- Would you use their services
Questions to ask when interviewing an agent
You should ask these
questions before making a decision:
- How many buyers have you
successfully represented in the last six months? Can I
have the names and phone numbers of three
to six of your most recent buyer clients?
- What professional
designations do you have?
- Are you fully automated with
your own personal computer, FAX machine, copier, pager,
voice mail, etc?
- What is your commission? Or do you have
hourly rates or a set fee?
- Do you have a list of home inspectors,
insurance agents and reputable lenders for me to consider?
- What clauses will be included in our offer to protect us
- Will you try to sell me one of your listed properties
before you show me listings from other real
- Do you have information about For
Sale By Owner properties?
- How will you help me save money?
- How will you protect my
interests, and why should I hire you rather than another
Now that you've chosen a few agents
and interviewed them, ask yourself the following questions
to narrow your choice down:
- Did they return your phone calls?
- Did they ask you questions
to determine what you want/need in a home?
- Did they perform
a financial analysis to help you determine how much you
- Did they suggest financing methods?
- Did they seem knowledgeable
about the community?
- Did they explain things clearly?
- Did you feel comfortable
Whoever received the most "yes's" should
be the one you choose – especially if the last question
was a definite yes!